Booking terms and conditions
Groups up to 30 people (14 in the Turkish Boudoir, 20 in the Petits Appartements and the Imperial Theatre)
- 1 hour and 30 minute tour: Full rate €190/ Reduced rate €160 (current students and teachers)
- 2 hour tour: Full rate €260/ Reduced rate €215 (current students and teachers)
- 1 hour and 30 minute tour in foreign languages: €250
- In addition, there is an admission fee per person: group rate €12 instead of €14 per person for a minimum of 20 paying visitors (excluding free tickets). Tickets valid all day long.
Discover the castle
Our ‘Best of’ to discover the history of the Château de Fontainebleau over the centuries.
A special itinerary on which you to meet the various sovereigns who have ruled in Fontainebleau and discover the castle’s emblematic sites, such as the François I Gallery and the Stag Gallery, some of which are not normally open to the public.
To broaden your knowledge of the castle, we offer themed tours based on the major historical periods that have marked its history.
Francis I made Fontainebleau one of the most active artistic centres in Europe by calling upon numerous artists, such as Rosso and Primaticcio, men of letters, and by surrounding himself with a sumptuous court. Thanks to its décor and architecture, the castle is characteristic of the French Renaissance, a synthesis of French and Italian art. The tour is focused on the Francis I Gallery, the Ballroom, the Duchess d’Étampes’ Chamber, the Beautiful Fireplace Wing, or the Golden Gate.
A few months were enough for the Emperor to leave a lasting impression on this castle. The Farewell Courtyard, the Grands and Petits Appartements will be some of the places you’ll visit to bring the Napoleonic legend back to life.
The recently reconfigured museum presents a very rich collection of objects retracing the career of Napoleon Bonaparte. The tour guides us in the footsteps of this new Caesar and towards the birth of the Napoleonic legend.
Come and get to know the imperial family, by discovering Napoleon III, the Empress Eugenie and their son, Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte, through emblematic places: the Emperor’s Study, the Chinese Museum and the Hunting Apartment, occupied by the imperial prince.
For the most curious, this tour allows you to discover exceptionally high-quality areas, unknown to visitors.
The following can be proposed: the Stag Gallery, the Saint Saturnin Lower Chapel, the apartment of Madame de Maintenon, the Hall of Columns, the Chinese Museum, the Napoleon III Theatre, the Imperial Prince’s apartment known as the ‘Hunting Apartment’ or even the Emperor's Petits Appartements.
After the success of the ‘Investigation at the Castle’ tour, the castle has prepared a new episode to the delight of little investigators. Who stole Eugenie’s tiara? Merimée? Rosa Bonheur? Alongside the commissioner, go in search of the culprit and help the Empress find her jewels!
This visit, full of twists and turns, will take you to rooms usually closed to the public, such as the Furniture Gallery, the Painting Gallery or Napoleon III’s Study.
There are two packages available for you to visit the castle in a unique way:
- Royal Package: during opening hours, enjoy a private tour of places not included on the tour and finish with a glass of champagne in a private room of the château.
Fee: €500 incl. VAT per group (15 people maximum)
- Imperial Package: Enjoy the unique privilege of a private tour outside the castle’s opening hours. Some spaces that are usually closed to the public can be opened exceptionally. To continue your prestigious evening, cocktails or dinners can be arranged within the château, or in its courtyards and gardens.
Fee: starting at €700, before tax